Friday, April 18, 2014

Spring traditions

We're still a week away from our spring family dinner, but as I mentioned in the last post, I've got a pretty good idea of the menu, provided everyone wants our traditional dinner again. We'll have ham and potatoes and vegetables and salad. My favorite parts of the dinner are not so healthy: the rolls and dessert. Our traditional desserts are apple pie (for the hubbys) and apple cranberry crisp for the gluten-free folks. This year, the crisp will be replaced by gluten-free birthday cake. :-) Tonight I'll ask the birthday girl for her request. In the meantime, I thought I'd share our family recipe for crescent rolls. I first had these rolls at my sister's bridal shower over 25 years ago. They take a bit of planning ahead for the rising, but they don't take much effort. This recipe makes about 32 rolls, but I've found I can set half of the dough aside to use another day. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and/or a plate, and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature and shape before baking.

Crescent Rolls

Dissolve 2 pkg. yeast in 3/4 c. warm water.
Stir in:
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. butter
2 c. flour
Stir together. Stir in another 2 c. flour.
Scrape dough from sides of bowl. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double (1 1/2 hours). Divide in half. Roll each half to 12" circle. Cut into 16 pie shaped pieces. Roll, starting at wide end. Put on pan poin down. Cover, let rise 1 hour. Brush with melted butter (optional). Bake at 400 for 12-15 min.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment