Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Maintaining

The numbers say I've reached my goal. But a goal is about more than numbers. What happens once a person reaches a goal? (a number on a scale, a number of reps, a level of resistance, an amount of time spent in cardio, etc.) In some cases, we set new goals, perhaps to reach the next level of fitness. For example, I've reached my goal in minutes on the elliptical. Now I'm working on speed. The last week or so I see my average speed gradually increasing. That tells me I'm getting in better shape. Eventually I'll probably add some resistance. (months down the road!)

In the case of eating, numbers on a scale are not static -- have you noticed? They move around so that a person has to shoot for average, or look at trends over time to really make sense of it. One thing I do know, maintaining a desired goal requires maintaining new habits. So far this week, I haven't started any new baking. We've run out of chocolate chips and I don't plan to bring any more chocolate in until next weekend. Not sure I'd want to keep it out forever! :-)  Again, if I look at it as a line graph, there are times with less chocolate in the house and times with more chocolate, but overall there should be an upward trend in healthy eating.

The weather is even cooperating today -- stir fry vegetables for lunch actually sound good on such a gray day!

No comments:

Post a Comment