Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Grazing

The topic at weight watchers this week was "bites, licks, and tastes," known in our family as grazing. Although we do enjoy bites, licks, and tastes too! I'm not likely to avoid altogether -- one of the options. I'm not very likely to "replace" -- another option presented. I may or may not track my grazing -- the third option. So I thought I'd share some things that work for me. Last week I heard a discussion on satisfying cravings. For me, the two are related. If I want a cookie, for example, but I'm trying to stay out of the cookies, I'll eat my way all around it (see yesterday's post on reasons to eat, especially comfort*). Hence, the grazing. If I allow myself one cookie, i.e., defrost one from the freezer stash (see earlier posts on my friend the freezer and how I won't eat frozen cookies), then I can have the cookie, know the points value, and reduce grazing to almost non-existent. In this scenario, eating a cookie saves points! Who knew?! :-)

Another similar trick that works for me is to pre-measure whatever I'm likely to graze on. For example, people in our family like to graze on chocolate chips. Just a few, satisfies wanting a little something after a spicy dinner or in the evening. However, the number of trips to the chocolate chip tin can affect the total intake. When I'm really trying to stay on track, I measure 2 T. chocolate chips into a different dish (I can look up the points value for 2 T.) and that's my allotment for the day. When I want to graze on chocolate chips, I go to the pre-measured dish instead of the tin. This works for chips or crackers, too, by pre-measuring a serving. I even pre-measured the cookie dough last weekend by forming all the cookies into balls so when hubby came through looking for his cookie dough, instead of a random spoonful (and then another), he took one cookie ball, which has an established points value. I don't know that he completely buys into my plan, but it works for me.

Having a bite of grated cheese while cooking? Haven't addressed that one yet!
What are your tips for keeping "bites, licks, and tastes" under control?

No comments:

Post a Comment