Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Freezer friend

The freezer is my friend. It enables me to make muffins or other things for breakfast and have one each morning, fresh. I set it out the night before and then heat if I want. I do the same thing with a batch of cinnamon or almond rolls or other quick breads. Scones will even taste fresh if wrapped singly and then frozen in a larger container. :-) Of course, this is also a good way to maintain portion control - I can have my treats and eat them too, since I'm only eating one (cookie or piece) at a time. I don't like to eat them frozen, so I'm limited to what I choose to defrost at any given time. The same principle applies to main dishes, and of course, fruits and vegetables. Blueberries - I can use what I want, when I want, and they are always fresh. We make our spaghetti sauce (which also works for lasagne or any pasta dish) in batches in the crockpot, then ladle out portions for 2 people in individual jars or containers. I take out a jar, and I have pre-measured (nearly) instant dinner. Works for taco meat, meat balls, soup stock, you name it. Side bonus: I get to practice planning and discipline to think ahead 12-24 hours to defrost what I need. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment