Friday, April 9, 2010

Elusive Exercise

So, last night the other half invited me on his walk. Imagine that! I begged off, citing cold temperatures and wind as an excuse. I had already taken my two walks for the day. Making excuses, though, is exactly what gets us in these predicaments (wanting clothes to fit better, get in shape, etc.) in the first place.

A week or so ago I contemplated how much my level of fitness would increase if I could just walk and work at the same time. I can read on the treadmill, why can't I walk and work (read nonfiction texts, take notes, write)? I researched a bit on the internet and read suggestions I've seen before - all targeted to the office worker. Good suggestions, just not applicable in my situation. For one, we don't have stairs I can use instead of taking the elevator. I don't have a parking lot where I can park in the last space and walk the distance. I walk down the hall from the living room to the office. It's 20 steps. I paced it once for a science lesson I was writing. However, I have discovered I can do quite a bit of jogging in place just waiting for the computer to boot up. And again while waiting for the operating system that requires coffee to load internet. And again while waiting for the email program to finish loading ads. Perhaps our "desk jobs" have created a bit of exercise opportunity after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment