Thursday, February 20, 2014

On a Scale of 1-10

Yesterday and today have not been quite as healthy -- I'm not sure if you would call it fun or antidote to stress! I like one of the thoughts from Weight Watchers, that each day is a new day to do better. Even in the midst of a not-so-good day, we can plan ahead to do better. Good, positive, thinking counters the threat of continuing to slip into bad habits. Here's a positive thought for today: I like to keep parts of my favorite salad prepared ahead of time to make it easier to make it (that way I'll be inclined to have it more often)! After having a delicious salad at Tidal Raves, I've created my own tasty version. Romaine lettuce shredded carrots (I shred these ahead of time and keep in a small container) dried cranberries (they're handy in a jar in the cupboard) curried almonds* (this is something I have to do ahead of time -- I'll make up enough to half fill a small jar and keep them in the cupboard) balsamic vinegar dressing* (I make this ahead and keep in a jar in the cupboard) When I get ready to have this salad for lunch or dinner or afternoon snack, all I have to do is tear some lettuce in a bowl, sprinkle on a few carrots, drizzle a little dressing, and add the cranberries and almonds on top. Instant salad! Curried Almonds about a handful of slivered almonds (I buy whichever kind is cheapest and chop them at home if I have to) Melt about 1 tsp. butter in small fry pan. Add 2-3 dashes of curry, depending on taste. Stir in almonds and toast for a couple of minutes. They burn easily, so watch carefully. I usually pull them off the heat after a minute or two and leave them in the warm pan for another minute to cool before pouring them into a jar. Balsamic Vinegar Dressing I just use equal parts balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I suppose you could add seasonings if you wanted. I drizzle about 1/4-1/2 tsp. over salad - just enough to add a little moisture and taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment