Saturday, June 19, 2010

Doing the math

I wonder how much walking it will take to lose this extra 5 pounds. If I do the math, it's rather daunting. 3500 calories for 1 pound. 17,500 calories for 5 pounds. 100 calories per 1 mile walk, give or take, depending on intensity. (how intense is a walk on the beach?) Looks like 175 miles? I'll make the math easy. Let's say I have 20 days. Not quite 10 miles a day? Not very realistic. 5 miles a day I can do. I guess I should have started earlier... and I have, sort of. Well, 2 miles in today already, some more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Huh? I have to walk 175 miles to lose 5 pounds??? What if I cut way down on calories, would that help? Like make it only 174 miles? Egads. This losing a few pounds really IS daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's break it down some more. 1 mile a day would take 175 days. That's 6 months. 2 miles a day would take roughly 3 months. If I/we do that, plus cut down on calories, we could make it less than 3 months. 4 miles a day (my average) should take 6 weeks. But I know that isn't working. Something in my math is wrong.

    ReplyDelete